Friday, October 2, 2009

Back to Work

Went back to work yesterday. All those people that had been arrested needed to be arraigned. Constitutional rights and all that. Unfortunately, the court had been flooded in the tsunami. While they did clean it up a lot, it still smelled like you would imagine a court would after it had a day of two feet of standing water, feces, oil, debris, and death. I sat there all morning and by the time I left around noon, I had a scratchy throat, watery eyes, burning nose. I was also extremely pale and dizzy. So, now I've got my friends in EPA working on testing that place out before I go in this morning to make sure it's safe.

After work I had to help save records from the registrar's office. These are all the Territory's vital records about everything. We put on our masks, and stuffed wet contracts and stuff into boxes which were then put in the massive freazers at the canneries. The theory being that if we need them again we can thaw them out page by page.

Meg hooked up with a woman doing psychological assessments for a non-profit and went to meetings all day yesterday. It looks like this could lead to fairly large projects for her and probably a job down the road. There is also the possibility of her working with FEMA.

Which means FEMA has arrived. They got here yesterday. Of course, they spent all day yesterday having meetings, and will spend all day today surveying the damage. Things which we have been doing since Tuesday. But they want to do it on their own, and don't want what we've already done. So people will have to wait and watch this happen all over again.

1 comment:

obrennan said...

You're the smartest, most fascinating and cutest blogger I've ever read! Love, Aunt Laura