Thursday, October 1, 2009

Aftershocks

A lot of crazy stuff has been going on since Tuesday. Apparently, the eastern power plant was completely washed away, so the east side of the island has no power. Tons of sewage from the treatment plant has leaked into the water so we have to boil everything for a while. Yesterday, me, Meg, and another guy went to Aminave and Leone on the west side to survey damage for EPA. Aminave was completely wiped out, maybe about 95%. Another village, Paloa, had nothing but the church left standing. Leone, which is a fairly sizable village, was in pretty bad shape too. We spent our time walking from house to house in Aminave. It was New Orleans and Mississippi all over again. Nothing but slabs and debris.

But today I have to work. The office is fine, but the courts are reeking of mold. I sat in there all morning and kind of feel sick now. But I'll try to give more info and photos this weekend.

No comments: